Our International Office
The International Office is responsible for organising the exchange and reception of students and teachers, as well as providing administrative support during the exchange. Your university must have an exchange agreement with the HEG-FR and you have to be registered as a degree-seeking student at your university. You do not have to pay fees at the HEG-FR, only at your home institution. You can come to the HEG-FR for one semester/ a year or for a short-program.
Step-by-step incoming student guide
1. Key date - Academic calendar
Academic Year 2023-2024
|Orientation||One week prior to semester start||One week prior to semester start|
|Start of the Semester||September 18, 2023||February 19, 2024|
|End of the Semester||January 19, 2024||June 22, 2024|
|Exams||Last week of semester||Last week of semester|
|Exams Results||End of February||Mid June|
- Nomination deadline for Full Year & Autumn Semester:
- Non EU/EFTA Nationalities : Mid April, 2024
- EU/EFTA Nationalities : Mid September, 2024
- Nomination deadline for Spring Semester:
- Non EU/EFTA Nationalities : May 1st, 2024
- EU/EFTA Nationalities : Mid February, 2024
3. Application process
Once the nomination has been accepted by the HEG-Fribourg, the nominated student must complete an online application to study at HEG-FR.
During online registration, the following documents must be uploaded:
• Academic transcript of records
• Motivation letter
• Up-to-date CV in English
• Proof of language skills (for non-native speakers)
• Copy of passeport
• Learning agreement
• ID photo (digital; passeport standard)
The deadlines for students to complete their application are as follows:
- Application deadline for Full Year & Autumn Semester:
- Non EU/EFTA Nationalities :May 1st, 2024
- EU/EFTA Nationalities : June 30, 2024
- Application deadline for Spring Semester:
- Non EU/EFTA Nationalities : mid-october 2024
- EU/EFTA Nationalities : mid november 2024
4. Letter of acceptance
Your acceptance letter will send by email in May for students who have applied for a Fall semester or full-year exchange, and in November for students who have applied for a Spring semester exchange.
You will also receive other important information such as the visa application process (NON-UE students), how to apply for residence and information regarding insurance.
Please note that if you are not a UE citizen, you may need a visa to enter Switzerland. Check the following website to see if you need a visa to enter Switzerland: https://www.swiss-visa.ch
Start as soon as possible the visa application process. It can take up to 4 months to obtain a visa.
5. Enrollment and course selection
Exchange students register for courses through the international office. Before your arrival we will ask you for your learning agreement and will register you accordingly.
For exchange students: see the list of available courses here.
Forthe Diploma in financial management, please click here for courses.
6. Orientation week and semester start
One week before the beginning of each semester, the International Office organize a dedicated week for the incoming students.
During this week, you will have the chance to learn more about Switzerland and to make new friends.
You will :
- get information on life in Switzerland and about the school,
- get familiar with the campus and the surroundings
- receive support throughout the registration process with the canton and city
- take part in a cultural excursion
7. Grading system and transcripts
Credit system - ECTS
The credit system is based on the European Credit Transfer System ECTS. European Credit Transfer System ECTS. At the HEG-Fribourg, 1 ECTS credit is equal to 25-30 hours of academic work. The ECTS credits measure the total amount of work that you have undertaken (including hours present in lectures/seminars, as well as the personal time required outside tuition hours).
A degree-seeking student would have 30 ECTS per semester. Exchange Students usually take less as the teaching and learning is in another language. This has to be discussed prior to departure with the home university coordinator.
The HEG-Fribourg uses a grading scale ranging from 0 to 6 with 4.00 representing a passing grade.
A transcript of Records will be issued no later than 2 months after the assessment period has finished at our institution. Transcript will be sent directly to your home university.