Aller au contenu principal

Fribourg campus


Health insurance

Medical amd pharmaceutical costs are high in Switzerland.

Foreign students staying in Switzerland for more than three months must be covered by a health insurance scheme. However, there are differences depending on your nationality:

Citizens of the European Union or the European Free Trade Association (EU/EFTA)

If you are a national of one of these countries, you have three options


  • Possess a valid "European Health Card" to be exempt from compulsory insurance under the bilateral agreements between Switzerland and the European Union (Bulgaria and Romania are not included).

Your European health insurance card must be valid for the entire duration of your stay.

Further information can be found at


  • Have insurance cover equivalent to Swiss sickness insurance.

An application for exemption from compulsory insurance must still be submitted to the competent cantonal authority where you are living.

For this, you need to submit a form stating the equivalence of your insurance cover, to be completed by the foreign insurer: Fill in the form Attestation by a foreign insurer to secure exemption from statutory insurance in Switzerland, which must be signed by your insurer (form available only in French and German)
Attestation by a foreign insurer to secure exemption from statutory insurance in Switzerland

List of approved health insurance 

carte UE assurance

Non-EU/EFTA nationals

There is only one solution: take out health insurance in Switzerland.

If you are going to stay in Switzerland for more than 90 days and therefore need to apply for a residence permit, the following health insurances are appropriate:


Academic care or 


Swiss insurance health association for foreign students 

On the other hand, if you arrive with a Schengen Visa, will be in Switzerland for less than 90 days and therefore do not need to apply for an official residence permit from a Swiss immigration authority, you can take out a Schengen visa insurance:


Reimbursement with an European Health card

To obtain reimbursement for health care services, you must send your invoices to the LAMal Joint Institution in Solothurn, which coordinates the payment of medical costs, giving your bank details in Switzerland (not abroad) :

Institution Commune LAMal
Gibelinstrasse 25 - 4503 Soleure
Tel. +41 32 625 30 30
Fax +41 (0)32 625 30 90

Please note: 92 CHF per invoice is payable by you for each month of treatment (deductible).

Leaving Switzerland

Don't forget to cancel your insurance contract before you leave Switzerland!

Inform your insurance company about the exact departure date and send them the deregistration confirmation.

Important information:

  • If you want to take part in sports such as skiing in Switzerland, make sure your health insurance covers the risk.
  • Dental treatment in Switzerland is not covered by health insurance and can be very expensive. Check with your insurer.

Civil liability insurance

Third-party liability (TPL) or Personal liability insurance provides cover against any damage to property or personal injury caused to a third party. It is not compulsory, but it is strongly recommended.

It should be noted that most landlords require their tenants to have third-party insurance.

Please read the information on this site carefully. 

Personal liability insurance is not very expensive, you can compare offers and rates here


source:  Mick Haupt