Transforming enterprising managers
The CAS in Business Venture is designed to transform the experienced manager into intrapreneurs - also known as insider entrepreneurs - or entrepreneurs who will launch their own businesses. As the needs and environment of these two target groups sometimes differ, the CAS programme will be structured as a core course with additional modules to meet everyone’s needs as closely as possible.
The CAS will be taught in English and the lecturers come from a wide range of professional and geographical backgrounds. It will be held at the HEG site in Fribourg over a period of 25 days beginning in March 2020.
As a cutting-edge course in the field of business venture, this programme covers the methods and tools of intra-preneurship and entrepreneurship that will be applied in innovative projects. The course includes fundamental academic curriculum geared towards practice. The CAS will enable you to implement the knowledge acquired during the course within a personal project defined during admission and which complements the course programme – a project set to become a reality at your company.
- To learn about and brush up on different methods for aligning a company or project’s concept with the needs of its customers.
- To understand and implement idea-generation tools.
- To understand the vectors of innovation and the importance of certain underlying technologies, such as digitalisation, artificial intelligence and blockchain technology.
- To discover the challenges of leadership in this context; learn how best to put together a team and implement agile management methods.
- To understand the path from prototype to first sales, the management of growth plateaus and internationalisation.
The intrapreneurs will focus on:
- The evaluation of ideas to gain the support of customers, finance department and CEO, while also remaining feasible and being able to manage their stage of maturity within the company.
- The various forms of innovation and key success factors for each of them: collaborative, internal innovation, open innovation, innovation lab and corporate venturing, as well as how to manage a start-up eco-system, CEO in residence, etc.
The entrepreneurs can also broaden their knowledge on company financing issues, such as:
- Mastering the investor research process; understanding investor needs, value drivers, how to present themselves and the contracts to be put in place.
- Setting up a board of directors; understanding its role and establishing good governance.
Specialized project support
Additionally, there is an option at the end of the course to receive further coaching for personal projects.
- Minimum of ten years of professional experience in positions of responsibility in any sector.
- Good command of English.
- Personal project to be developed in tandem with the CAS program in the form of a company project or a new company.
At a glance
Certificate of Advanced Studies (CAS) en Business Venture
Six to nine months while working
The CAS registration fee is CHF 8,800.
Place of study
Structure and programme overview
Extensive knowledge and best practices are taught by 20 lecturers who are national and international experts from the private sector and academia. The programme contains several modules and is held over 25 days.
Core programme (8 ECTS over 16 days)
- Entrepreneurs, their DNA, personal challenges
- The differences between a start-up owner and an intrapreneur
- The various forms of innovation and success factors
- Digitalisation, blockchain technology, framework for adopting these technologies
- Idea generation, project planning, business model
- Leadership, agile management, communication, intercultural management
- Overcoming plateaus, scaling up – what this involves
- Pitching, presentation skills
Targeted modules (4 ECTS over eight days)
- Evaluating and selecting projects in line with the company’s strategic objectives
- How to disrupt within a corporate environment
- Internal company innovation, corporate venturing, innovation lab
- Leadership, CEO in residence
- Fundraising process, negotiation with investors, contractual aspects
- Company valuation
- Intellectual property
- Governance, how to set up the board, its role and interaction
Project implementation (3 ECTS on one day)
- Presentation and validation of knowledge acquired